Translated by Tünde Igli
According to Archeological explorations, this part of the country has been inhabited for a long time. The flora and wildlife of the Szamos Valley and later of the Tur river, the protection they provided, attracted the nations to this area. The different nations were attracted to this region by the flora and wildlife of the valleys of the Szamos and the Tur and the protection they provided. This is proven by the phaleological findings in the are of Turterebes. The 1967 findings on the Pusztahegy belong to the first era of the Grovetlián culture. According to the experts the silver coins that were found are from the third and second century before Christ. There is no evidence from the 14 centuries after this that would indicate the existence of the village (settlement).
During the settlement of the Magyars in Hungary the first Magyar settlers arriving in Turterenes chose the “terebes” or “cutting/clearing” area along the shores of the Tur river. This is where the swebish name of the village originates: "terebity"="clearing".
Our kings took this region into their own domain as an unclaimed region using it as hunting land. In Latin "Terestae sanctorum regum" which is also part of the Turterebes coat of arms. In English: “Land of Holy Kings”.
The first data about the village originates in 1216. In the Registry of Varad they mention Turterebes in the context of a legal action brought against a couple for witch hunt. The town’s name picked up the Tur prefix around 1321. The town names: Krasznaterebes, Tôketerebes, and Rákosterebes also came into existence at around this time. During the centuries after the settlement, Turterebes was part of the lordship of zatmar (Satu Mare).
Major historical events relating to Turterebes, in a nut shell: Felszeg is the oldest part of the town, because the first settlers arriving to the town claimed the clearing along the Tur river as their new home. They formed created the first signs of settlement in the town. This ancient settlement was swept away by the Tatars in 1241, which resulted in Túrterebes becoming an uninhabited place.
In 1250, King Béla IV gave this uninhabited place to Erne, a horseman.
In 1315 Dénes, the son of Jánky Tamás priest of Bereg, then Ugocsa, got this area as donation. The Jánky family claimed this land during the second half of the XIV century.
During those times they had to provide manpower, therefore a significant immigration of workers starts from the Bereg and Szatmár countys. Several worker families, from the Jánky family’s other mansion by Szatmárhegy, were immigrated here. These workers occupied the land on the right shores of the Tur river and Turci stream, specifically on the Felszeg
In 1399 King Luxemburgi Zsigmond took the right to the land of Terebes from Drág and Balk and donated it to Perényi Péter, along with some cultivated land. Györg and Sándor the sons of Drág, who benefited from the donations in previous years, sued Perenyi. The lawsuit was won by Perenyis and they became the owners of the castle and the mansion.
The united Hungarian state breaks up after the Mohacsi Vesz of 1526. Perényi Péter took both the Magyars and the Szekelys into enemy camps. For Transylvania the next 150 years represent the era of conflict between required adaptation and natural desire for unity. During the second half of the XVI century the inhabitants of the Magyar settlements, including Túrterebes, took up the Protestant religion. Szatmar and its region became the harbor of Protestant philosophy. The Perénys were avid followers of the religion reform, and therefore became Protestants. As it was tradition, the people of Túrterebes followed their land owner in this matter.